Applied Industry Sector
AHRI's membership is divided into four broad groups called Industry Sectors, each overseen by a Leadership Council. The Sector scope, membership, and related standards and certification programs are listed below.
Scope | Members | Standards | Certification Programs
Applied Sector Scope
The Applied Sector includes both products and components.
Air-Heating & Cooling Coils
Central system finned cooling and heating coils, air conditioning type, not a part of a matched split system as covered by the unitary small equipment scope, and intended for field installation, and for central station air conditioning units used with but not including means for air circulation.
- Standard steam.
- Steam distributing tube type.
- Hot water heating.
- Standard water cooling and/or heating.
- Cleanable tube water.
- Volatile refrigerant cooling.
- Liquids as specified.
Wetted surface dehumidifiers, consisting of a suitable enclosure containing cooling coils, means for liquid spray over the cooling coils, and tank, but without means for air circulation provided as an integral part of the unit. The unit may include a recirculating water pump, eliminator plates, and inlet deflectors.
Air-Cooled Water-Chilling Chillers
A factory-made and prefabricated assembly (not necessarily shipped as one package) of one (1) or more compressors, condensers, and evaporators, with interconnections and accessories including controls, designed for the purpose of cooling water. It is a machine specifically designed to make use of a vapor compression refrigeration cycle to transfer heat from a cold water fluid circulating system to the air. This product type includes heat pump and heat recovery water heating packages, condenserless and evaporatively cooled chillers, as well as units that use fluids other than fresh water.
Air-to Air Energy Recovery Ventilation Components
Energy recovery components or air-to-air heat exchangers used to recover energy from exhaust air for the purpose of pre-conditioning outdoor air, prior to supplying the conditioned air to the space, either directly or as part of an airconditioning system (to include air heating, air cooling, air circulating, air cleaning, humidifying and dehumidifying). Heat Exchangers joined by a circulated heat transfer medium (run-around loop) are excluded from this product type. A run-around loop employs liquid-containing coils placed in each of two or more airstreams, wherein the coils are connected to a closed loop.
Air-to Air Energy Recovery Ventilation Packagers
Energy recovery packaged ventilation units that employ air-to-air energy recovery ventilation components to recover energy from exhaust air for the purpose of pre-conditioning outdoor air, prior to supplying the conditioned air to the space, either directly or as part of an air conditioning (to include air heating, air cooling, air circulating, air cleaning, humidifying and dehumidifying) system.
Central Station Air-Handling Units
Factory-made encased assemblies consisting of a fan or fans in parallel which may also include other necessary equipment to perform one or more of the functions of circulating, cleaning, heating, cooling, humidifying, dehumidifying, and mixing of air and that have a maximum design external static pressure greater than 1.0 in H2O. It does not include units that have a source of mechanical cooling or that have direct expansion coils which are incorporated by the manufacturer in a matched split system air conditioner or as otherwise defined in another AHRI product scope .
A datacom cooling product is designed for the primary purpose of providing year-round cooling for facilities which are predominantly populated with servers, computers, networking equipment, electronic equipment, storage products and peripherals which may be mission critical.
Can be one of several configurations that include one or more of the following attributes:
- The primary efficiency rating is SCOP or iNSenCOP not SEER or EER.
- SEER and EER are not applicable to these products.
- Optimized for net sensible cooling with a sensible heat ratio typically > 0.90, and rating accordingly in kW of cooling.
- Application and rating points differ from comfort cooling applications.
- Some equipment contains optional humidification systems installed within the cooling unit and may also contain heat in order to offset over-cooling that may be caused by dehumidification operation.
- Equipment that is designed specifically for the application in a data center.
Product configurations include:
- Row based units that are either DX units including external condensers, cooling towers or dry cooler heat rejection, or chilled water-cooling units
- Perimeter units that are either DX units including external condensers, cooling towers or dry cooler heat rejection, or chilled water-cooling units
- Ceiling mounted units that are either DX units including external condensers, cooling towers or dry cooler heat rejection, or chilled water-cooling units
- Any of the above configurations may include “free cooling” economizers that utilize air, water, glycol or a refrigerant to provide cooling with the compressors off
- Specifically excluded are the products included in the scopes of other AHRI product type scopes, room air conditioners and heat pumps.
- External units which are ducted to the data center, for example air handlers.
Mechanical refrigeration systems designed with its primary purpose for removing moisture from the air with reheat recovered from the dehumidification process.
Fan Powered Chilled Water Terminals
Fan-powered air terminals which include a hydronic cooling coil and an airflow regulating primary air valve and in which the primary air valve is in series with the fan and all air flows through the fan. The primary air shall bypass the cooling coil. The cooling coil shall be designed and rated for sensible operation only. The unit may have supplemental heat. Excluded are all products specifically covered by the other AHRI product type scopes.
Liquid to Liquid Brazed and Fusion Bonded Heat Exchangers
Heat transfer devices used to exchange heat between two fluid streams that are single phase liquids:
- Brazed Plate-type Heat Exchangers
- Fusion Bonded Plate-Type Heat Exchangers
Liquid to Liquid Heat Exchangers
Heat transfer devices used to exchange heat between two fluid streams that are single-phase liquids:
- Gasketed Plate-type Heat Exchangers
- Shell and Tube Heat Exchangers, Shell and U-Tube Heat Exchangers, and Shell and Coil Heat Exchangers
- Tube-in-Tube Heat Exchangers
Room Fan Coils
Factory-made encased assemblies consisting of a fan or fans in parallel which may also include other necessary equipment to perform one or more of the functions of circulating, cleaning, heating, cooling, humidifying, dehumidifying, and mixing of air and that generally have a maximum design external static pressure less than or equal to 1.0 in H2O. It does not include units that have a source of mechanical cooling or that have direct expansion coils which are incorporated by the manufacturer in a matched split system air conditioner or as otherwise defined in the product scope definition of other AHRI product types.
Single Packaged Vertical Units
A single package vertical air conditioner consists of a separate encased or un-encased combination of cooling and optional heating components, factory assembled as a single package, and intended for exterior mounting on, adjacent interior to, or through, an outside wall. The major components of the unit are arranged vertically, and may contain separate indoor grille(s), outdoor louvers, various ventilation options, indoor free air discharge, ductwork, wall plenum or a sleeve. Heating components may include electrical resistance, steam, hot water, gas, or no heat, but may not include reverse cycle refrigeration as a heating means. This equipment either alone or in combination with a heating plant, provides air-circulation, air-cleaning, cooling with controlled temperature and dehumidification, and may optionally include the function of heating and possible humidifying and ventilation.
A packaged terminal heat pump consists of a separate, unencased refrigeration system installed in a cabinet of similar function and configuration to that of a packaged terminal air-conditioner. It utilizes reverse cycle refrigeration as its prime heat source and should have available other supplementary heating by hot water, steam, or electric resistance.
Thermal Storage Equipment
Thermal storage equipment used for cooling may be charged and discharged with any of a variety of heat transfer fluids. The equipment may be fully factory assembled; assembled on site from factory supplied components; or field erected in accordance with pre-established design criteria.
Factory-made unit ventilators for all applications and sizes. A unit ventilator is an institutional type assembly, equipped with ventilation and return air dampers capable of introducing ventilation air of at least 80 percent of rated standard air flow, while also providing the functions of circulating or heating, heating or cooling and filtering air. The source of humidity control, heating or cooling supplementary to that from ventilation air, may be remote of an integral part of the unit itself. This equipment is designed for free delivery of air into a room but may be applied with minimal duct work having a static resistance normally not exceeding 0.50 inches water column. This equipment is provided with air capacities of 3000 cfm or less. Excluded are individual assemblies such as a cooling or heating section for separate use, and the following equipment:
- Room air conditioners as defined in AHAM standard RAC-1.
- Room fan-coil and air induction units as defined in ARI standards 440 and 445.
- Packaged terminal air conditioners and heat pumps as defined in ARI standard 310/380.
- Central-station air handling units as defined in ARI standard 430.
Variable Air Volume Terminals
Ducted devices, used to deliver air into/or remove air from a space and which provide control of air volume, direction, temperature, and/or pressure. Specifically included are the following devices:
- Constant or Variable Volume Air Terminals
Excluded are all grilles and registers and those products specifically covered by other AHRI product type scopes.
Water-Cooled Water-Chilling or Heat Pump Water-Heating Chillers
A factory-made and prefabricated assembly (not necessarily shipped as one package) of one (1) or more compressors, condensers, and evaporators, with interconnections and accessories including controls, designed for the purpose of cooling or heating water. It is a machine specifically designed to make use of a vapor compression refrigeration cycle to transfer heat from a cold water fluid circulating system to a warm water fluid circulating system. This product type includes heat pump and heat recovery water heating packages, condenserless, evaporatively cooled and absorption chillers, as well as units that use fluids other than fresh water.
Back to top
Air Filtration and Light Treatment
Mechanical Air Filter:
A device that utilizes a filter media, which may or may not have a passive electrostatic charge, to mechanically remove airborne particulate, including particulate from biological sources, in residential and commercial (HVACR) systems.
Electronic Air Filter:
An electrically powered device that utilizes an active electrical or ionization field to impose a charge on the airborne particulate, including particulate from biological sources, that assists in removing the particulate from the air stream in residential and commercial (HVACR) systems.
Ultraviolet Light Treatment:
Factory made devices that create light in the Ultraviolet wavelength for use either as a germicidal light to affect microorganisms on illuminated surfaced or in the air stream or to cause a catalytic reaction to break down contaminants in the air circulating in the ductwork of residential and commercial environments.
Blowers, Fans, and Motors
Air and combustion gas moving devices, consisting of impellers, motors, and associated components, produced for other manufacturers in the air conditioning, heating, and refrigeration industry.
Chemicals and Refrigerant Reclaimers
Chemical compounds that have significant application in conjunction with the manufacture, operation, or service of air conditioning and refrigeration equipment, and containers and equipment used to transport, store, or process these chemicals. Reclaim recovered refrigerants to the purity specifications outlined in the current version of AHRI Standard 700 (Specification for Fluorocarbon Refrigerants). The process can be used to reclaim customer-owned refrigerants or to reclaim used refrigerant that will subsequently be sold to third parties. Specifically excluded are refrigerants synthesized from virgin materials.
Compressors and compressor units designed for use in HVACR equipment and building systems and not included in another product type scope, with the specific exclusion of:
- Compressors and compressor units intended for use in:
- Household refrigerators
- Farm and home freezers
- Automotive air conditioners
- Room air conditioners
- Household dehumidifiers
Controls (Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Electronic Controls) (ACR)
Controllers and auxiliary control devices, which are primarily designed to aid in unattended operation, energy efficiency, electric utility demand reduction, cloud connectivity, fault detection and diagnosis, cybersecurity, or safety in the operation of components of comfort conditioning equipment, commercial, and industrial refrigeration equipment covered by the scopes of AHRI product types. Such devices are to be responsive to, but not limited to, one or more of the following conditions: time, temperature, pressure, humidity, fluid flow, air quality (this includes all air contaminants including leaked refrigerants), current, voltage, or power, and demand reduction or pricing signals.
Specifically excluded are:
- General purpose motor starters and circuit breakers
- All low voltage thermostats
- Component controllers and auxiliary controlling devices used in equipment not covered by AHRI product type scopes, e.g. automotive and recreational vehicles, domestic refrigerators, freezers, and room air conditioners.
- Gas controls
Controls (Flow and Contaminant Control Products) (FCCP)
Includes manufacturers of solenoid valves; 2-, 3-, 4-way reversing valves; thermostatic, electronic and automatic expansion valves of all capacities; and temperature and pressure regulating valves that,function alone or in combination with other controls or sources and are designed primarily to automatically control refrigerant flow (liquids or gases) or the flow of fluids supporting the refrigeration cycle in refrigeration or air-conditioning systems.
Also included are all manually operated valves used to control the flow of refrigerant or flow of fluids supporting the refrigeration cycle; ealed filter-driers having solid core desiccant, loose-fill desiccant, or a combination of the two; replaceable core filter-driers for use in liquid or vapor refrigerant lines; sealed or replaceable element suction filters; cores or elements for shells; receiver driers; strainers; and liquid or moisture-liquid indicators.
These products alone or in combination are intended for use primarily in refrigeration or air conditioning systems for the purpose of detecting and/or removing system contaminants.
Excluded are devices used with:
- Automotive and recreational vehicle air conditioning
- Domestic refrigerators/freezers, and individual room air conditioners not included in the scopes of AHRI air conditioning product types
- Hydronic system flow control valves that are included with hydronics products
Devices designed to add moisture to the air, including:
- Central humidifiers designed to add moisture to air circulated through ducts.
- Central system humidifiers, designed to add moisture directly into a room or duct system but dependent upon associated outside generating source such as:
- Steam grid duct
- Steam room humidifiers
- Pneumatic atomizing
- Fixed humidifiers, designed to add moisture directly to the space where the humidifier is located, excluding portable.
- Self-contained humidifiers, designed to add moisture directly into a room or duct system independent of associated outside generating source such as:
- Electrode steam generators
- Electric evaporative
- Centrifugal atomizing
Variable Frequency Drives
All low voltages, 690 volts ac and below, adjustable frequency motor controllers used in HVACR applications shall be included. Specifically excluded brushless DC motor controllers and external control automation.
Back to top
The following member companies are participants in the Applied Industry Sector.
Applied Industry Sector Members
AboveAir Technologies, LLC
Advanced Distributor Products
Aerofin Division of Air & Liquid Systems Corporation
Air System Components
AIRSYS Refrigeration Engineering Technology (Beijing) Co. Ltd.
Alfa Laval Inc.
Allied Air Enterprises
Ametek Dynamic Fluid Solutions
API Heat Transfer
APV North America Heat Transfer
Arctic Chiller Group
Armstrong Fluid Technology
Armstrong International, Inc.
Aspen Refrigerants, Inc.
Baltimore Aircoil Company
Bard Manufacturing Company, Inc.
Beckett Air Inc.
Beckett Thermal Solutions
Bitzer U.S. Inc.
Carnes Company, Inc.
Chongqing Midea General Refrigeration Equipment Co., Ltd.
Climaflex SA de CV
Coil Design LLC
CORE Energy Recovery Solutions
CPI Fluid Engineering
Data Aire, Inc.
Desert Aire Corp.
Desiccant Rotors International Pvt. Ltd.
Direct Coil Inc.
DunAn Precision Inc.
ECR International, Inc.
Edgetech Air Systems Private Limited
Elite Precision Components, Sdn. Bhd.
Emerson Commercial and Residential Solutions
Fasco Industries, Inc.
Field Controls, LLC
Friedrich Air Conditioning, LLC
GE Appliances, a Haier Company
General Filters, Inc.
Goodman Manufacturing Company, LP
Gree Electric Appliances, Inc. of Zhuhai
Greenheck Fan Company
GUANGDONG COLD MAGIC AIR-CONDITIONING EQUIPMENT CO.,LTD.
Guangdong Shenling Environmental Systems Co., Ltd
Hangzhou Shenshi Energy Conservation Technology Co., Ltd
Heat Pipe Technology, Inc.
Heat Transfer Products Group, LLC (HTPG)
Heatcraft Worldwide Refrigeration LLC
Honeywell Performance Materials & Technologies
Hudson Technologies, Inc.
Indus Thermal LLC
INNERGY TECH, Inc.
International Environmental Corp.
JL Group Engineering Pte. Ltd.
Johnson Controls, Inc.
Kentuckiana Curb Company
Kirloskar Chillers Private Limited
Kuenling Machinery Refrigerating (Shanghai) Co.,
Lennox International Inc.
LG Electronics, Inc.
Marvair Division, AIRXCEL, Inc.
Metal Industries, Inc.
Mexichem Fluor Inc.
Mitsubishi Electric Cooling & Heating
Modine Grenada LLC
Modine Manufacturing Company
Morrison Products, Inc.
Mortex Products, Inc.
Mueller Industries, Inc.
Nailor Industries Inc.
Nanjing TICA Climate Solutions Co.,Ltd
National Comfort Products
National Refrigerants, Inc.
National Refrigeration Products
Nidec Motor Corporation
Nortek Air Solutions, LLC
OMEXELL（Ji Nan）Heat Transfer Technology Co.,Ltd.
PremierOne Products, Inc.
Qingdao Haier Air-conditioning Electronic Co, Ltd.
RapRec Support Inc
Research Products Corporation
Ritchie Engineering Co., Inc.
Royal Service Air-Conditioning Co.
RUSKIN Rooftop Systems, Inc.
Samhwa Air Conditioning Engineering
Samsung Electronics Co., LTD
Sanhua International, Inc.
Sanhua Zhejian Co.
Schneider Electric IT Corporation
Seibu Giken Co., Ltd.
SG America, Inc.
Shanghai Highly Electrical Appliances Co., LTD
Shrieve Chemical Products
SINRO Air-conditioning (FoGang) Co., Ltd
S.K.M Air Conditioning, LLC
Smardt Chiller Group Inc
Smartech International Sdn Bhd.
Swegon North America, Inc.
SWEP International AB
Tecumseh Products Company
The Chemours Company FC, LLC
The Whalen Company
Thermal Solutions Products, LLC
United CoolAir Corp.
Valent Air Management Systems
WaterFurnace International, Inc.
Williams Furnace Co.
Wolf Steel Ltd
Xylem, Inc., Appled Water Systems
YORK Guangzhou Air Conditioning & Refrigeration Co., Ltd.
Back to top
Standards and Guidelines
Air-to-Air Energy Recovery Units
AHRI 1060/1061 (I-P/SI 2018), Performance Rating of Air-to-Air Exchangers for Energy Recovery Ventilation Equipment
AHRI Guideline W (I-P/SI 2014), Selecting, Sizing, & Specifying Packaged Air-To-Air Energy Recovery Ventilation Equipment
Central Station Air-Handling Unit
- AHRI Standard 1350/1351(IP/SI 2014), Mechanical Performance Rating of Central Station Air-handling Unit Casings (with Addendum 1)
- AHRI 430/431 (I-P/SI 2014), Performance Rating of Central Station Air-handling Unit Supply Fans (with Addendum 1)
- AHRI 1240/1241 (IP/SI/2016), Performance Rating of Active Chilled Beams
- AHRI 1360/1361 (IP/SI/2017), Performance Rating of Computer and Data Processing Room Air Conditioners
- ANSI/AHRI 910/911 (I-P/SI 2014), Performance Rating of Indoor Pool Dehumidifiers
- AHRI 920/921 (SI/I-P 2020), Performance Rating of Direct Expansion-dedicated Outdoor Air System Units
Forced Circulation Air-Cooling & Air-Heating Coils
- AHRI 410 (2001), Forced-Circulation Air-Cooling and Air-Heating Coils (with Addenda 1, 2 and 3)
- AHRI 550/590 (I-P/2018), Performance Rating of Water-chilling and Heat Pump Water-heating Packages Using the Vapor Compression Cycle (with Errata)
- AHRI 551/591 (SI/2018), Performance Rating of Water-chilling and Heat Pump Water-heating Packages Using the Vapor Compression Cycle (with Errata)
- AHRI 560 (2000), Absorption Water Chilling and Water Heating Packages
- ANSI/AHRI 1280 (2014), Sound Power Rating of Water-cooled Chillers
Liquid to Liquid Heat Exchangers
- ANSI/AHRI 400/401 (I-P/2015), Performance Rating of Liquid to Liquid Heat Exchangers
- AHRI 440 (I-P/2019), Performance Rating of Fan-coil Units
Single Packaged Vertical Units
- ANSI/AHRI 390 (2003), Performance Rating of Single Package Vertical Air-Conditioners and Heat Pumps
Thermal Storage Equipment
- ANSI/AHRI 900/901 (I-P/SI 2014), Performance Rating of Thermal Storage Equipment Used for Cooling
- AHRI Guideline T (I-P/SI)-2013, Specifying the Thermal Performance of Cool Storage Equipment
- AHRI Standard 840/841 (IP/SI 2015), Performance Rating of Unit Ventilators
Variable Air Volume Terminals
- AHRI 885 (2008), Procedure for Estimating Occupied Space Sound Levels in the Application of Air Terminals and Air Outlets (with Addendum 1)
- AHRI 880/881 (I-P/SI 2017), Performance Rating of Air Terminals
Variable Frequency Drives
- AHRI 1210/1211 (I-P/SI 2017), Performance Rating of Variable Frequency Drives
Back to top
Back to top